Carnelian has captivated humanity for millennia with its rich, reddish-brown, to orange - red hues. This semi precious gemstone is an exquisite variety of chalcedony, that has been cherished throughout history. This BLOG explores the fascinating history of Carnelian, delving into its origins, historical significance and the metaphysical attributes this stone possesses.
TABLE OF CONTENT
WHAT IS CARNELIAN?
Carnelian is a semi precious gemstone, that is typically reddish - brown to orange - red in colour. It is a variety of chalcedony, which is a form of microcrystalline quartz. The colour of Carnelian is a result of the iron oxide impurities within the microcrystalline quartz structure. Iron oxide is a common mineral that can impact various shades of red, orange and brown to minerals and gemstones. Its deep red colouration makes it a popular choice for use in jewellery and decorative pieces.
WHAT ARE THE HEALING PROPERTIES OF CARNELIAN?
Not only is Carnelian a captivating gemstone, it is also thought to possess both metaphysical and healing properties. While many crystal healers believe the benefits of crystal healing, its important to note it is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions regarding a physical or mental health condition.
Here are some of the prominent healing properties of Carnelian:
- Courage And Confidence: It is thought to be effective in increasing self-confidence and courage. It is also believed to help individuals overcome self-doubt and fears. This makes it a popular choice for public speakers and those facing challenging situations.
- Sexual Energy: It has long been associated with the powerful realm of sexual energy. It is believed to enhance sensuality, passion and desire. It is thought to help individuals feel more in tune with their desires and improve sexual experiences. Some people use this stone as a tool for enhancing intimacy and connections within their relationships.
- Root Chakra Balancing: Carnelian is associated with the Root Chakra. It is believed to help balance and strengthen this energy centre.
- Vitality And Energy: It is said that Carnelian boosts physical energy and vitality. Individuals seeking a boost in motivation and courage could benefit from this crystal for overcoming obstacles.
- Motivation And Goal Setting: It is believed that this crystal is beneficial for setting and achieving goals. It is said to help individuals to stay focussed and motivated to accomplish their objectives.
To unleash the metaphysical and healing properties of Carnelian, it is often worn as jewellery, carried in your pocket or bag, or even used throughout meditation.
WHERE IS CARNELIAN FOUND?
Carnelian is found in various locations across the globe. Some of the most significant sources are located in countries such as Brazil, India, Madagascar, Uruguay and The United States. While these are some of the abundant sources of the stone, it can also be found in smaller quantities in various other countries.
HOW TO CARE FOR CARNELIAN
The MOHS hardness of Carnelian sits at 7 on the scale. It is above the minimum recommendation for water submersion, however it is still not advised. It is generally good practice to avoid prolonged or repeated contact with water. I personally recommend using alternative methods for cleansing that doesn't require water submersion. Small cracks and crevices may not be seen to the naked eye, allowing water to seep inside that could potentially further damage the stone.
THE HISTORY OF CARNELIAN
Carnelian has a rich history dating back to ancient times. It has been used for thousands of years in various cultures for its beauty and perceived metaphysical properties. It was one of the first gemstones used in jewellery and decorative ornamental pieces. It is still a popular gemstone to date. In ancient Egypt, it was associated with reinvigoration of the spirit and body. Often it was used for amulets and jewellery to ward off the evil eye and instil peace.
Today, Carnelian is still used in modern day jewellery, cabochons and other ornamental items. While it may not hold the same mystical significance as it did in ancient times, it continues to be appreciated for its aesthetic qualities and cultural history. Additionally, some individuals believe in the metaphysical properties of Carnelian, associating it with energy, courage and motivation.
WHERE TO BUY CARNELIAN
If you are looking to purchase a piece for your own collection, look no further than Celestial Stones. Here we have a variety of Carnelian crystals including tumbled stones, jewellery and towers. See below a preview of what's available.